Air conditioning units too can develop problems over time, but knowing the most common issues with air conditioners can help homeowners diagnose problems early and prevent costly repairs down the line.
In this post, we’ll discuss the top 5 most common problems with air conditioners and how to troubleshoot them. If you encounter any problems, contact Daniels Heating and Air Conditioning for effective and reliable air conditioning service in San Bernardino, CA.
Dirty Air Filters
- Overview: Air filters trap dust, dirt, and other particles in the air and prevent them from entering your home. When air filters become clogged with debris, they can impede the airflow to your unit and cause it to work harder than it needs to.
- Causes: Dirty air filters are usually caused by neglecting to replace them regularly. Air filters should generally be replaced every one to three months, depending on usage.
- Troubleshooting: If your air conditioning unit is not producing as much cool air as it used to, check the air filter. If it’s dirty, replace it with a new one and see if that solves the problem.
- Overview: Refrigerant is the chemical that cools the air in your air conditioning unit. When there is a leak in the refrigerant lines, the unit won’t be able to produce cold air, and you may notice that your home is not getting as cool as it should be.
- Causes: Refrigerant leaks can be caused by a variety of factors, including corrosion, wear and tear, or damage to the refrigerant lines.
- Troubleshooting: If you suspect a refrigerant leak, contact us to schedule your air conditioning repair in San Bernardino, CA, to diagnose and repair the issue. Attempting to fix a refrigerant leak yourself can be dangerous and even illegal.
- Overview: Air conditioning units rely on electrical power to operate, and problems with electrical connections can prevent the unit from working correctly.
- Causes: Electrical issues can be caused by a number of varying factors, including faulty wiring, a blown fuse, or a tripped circuit breaker.
- Troubleshooting: If your air conditioning unit is not turning on, check the electrical connections and ensure the unit receives power. If you are unsure how to do this, it’s best to call in the professionals for assistance.
- Overview: The thermostat controls your AC’s temperature and settings. A malfunctioning thermostat can cause your AC to cycle on and off frequently, not cool your home to the desired temperature, or not turn on at all.
- Causes: Thermostat malfunctions can be caused by faulty wiring, dead batteries, or general wear and tear.
- Troubleshooting: Check your thermostat’s batteries and replace them if necessary. If the problem persists, check the wiring connections or contact the professionals at Daniels Heating and Air Conditioning in San Bernardino, CA, to repair or replace your thermostat as you need.
- Overview: The fan in your air conditioning unit is responsible for blowing cool air into your home. When there is a problem with the fan, your unit may be unable to produce cold air.
- Causes: Fan problems can be caused by various factors, including a malfunctioning motor, a damaged fan blade, or a blocked air duct.
- Troubleshooting: Inspect and clean the fan if your air conditioning unit is producing warm air or not working correctly. Calling our professional to diagnose and repair the issue is the best course of action.
Remember to schedule regular maintenance checks to ensure your air conditioning unit remains in good working order and operates at peak efficiency. With proper care and attention, you can ensure that your air conditioning unit provides reliable and efficient cooling for many years.